Monday 30 July 2012

3:00 PM, July the 10th, The Future

K.

Up and down, up and down, microliter after microliter, I'm pipetting the useless enzymes and pieces of DNA. Years of training and experience wasted on giving your next beer a slightly more appealing colour. Maybe I should consider myself lucky to be dealing with synthetic biology without a security clearance but it all just seems so meaningless. With current technology we have all we need to do great things but access to these technologies is so restricted that humanity just keeps running in circles. That's not how it was meant to be. An average graduate can do the job, hell, they even teach most of that stuff in high schools now. And yet here I am, wasting my time and when the paycheck arrives, it's as if someone just punched me in the face. Whatever I do, wherever I go, I'm just another brick in the wall. I see but cannot be seen, I scream and no one hears me. Not so long ago we all thought we grabbed the god by his robe, that we were chosen to change the world. Except the world has changed on its own - and it has left us behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment